Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Call.

So last Tuesday I was having a very productive afternoon. Dylan was sleeping away. I was cleaning up clutter and getting ready to vacuum. I had laundry in the washing machine, dryer and was folding several loads. I was on my way to the bedroom with my arms full of another load of clothes to fold, so when the phone rang I couldn't reach it before it went to the machine. The message on the other end was "Amy this is Linda at St. Mary's Hospital please call me back." My heart started pounding so hard I thought I was having a heart attack and I was shaking so bad I dropped all the clothes. Even now I am having the same reaction just thinking about the call. I knew as she left the message it was Cory and it had to be bad for him not to call. I knew because about two and half hours before Cory had left on his street bike and that was not our hospital, but the hospital near where his sister lives.

I called back right away, but it took forever for them to put me through to someone who knew what was going on. I told them that I knew my husband was in an motorcycle accident and was in the ER, they kept trying to send me to the billing department. In this time Dylan was waking up and I was trying to feed him because he had slept through his feeding time. Finally the nurse came on the line, I'm sure I sounded like a basket case. I know my voice was shaking. The first thing she said was that it was not life threatening. I started breathing a little easier. He was pretty scratched up and I need to come to the hospital was there someone that could drive me. I told her I would be fine, but it takes me a hour and a half to get there. I threw what I could grab into the truck and left.

I have never been so conscience of not speeding in my entire life. All I could think was that I couldn't get pulled over and waste that time. Plus I had Dylan with me and did not want to have a wreck myself with him. A nurse met me in the parking lot when I got there and took me right in, you gotta love small towns. He was still all strapped down to the backboard with his head and neck immobilized. The first think he said was are you here to take me home. The hospital staff told me that they were shipping him to Lewiston because there was a little bit of bleeding in his brain and he need to be with the neurosurgeon.

So ten minutes after getting to Cottonwood where St. Mary's is, we got back in the truck and drove another hour to Lewiston to the hospital there. It normally takes me a hour and 20 minutes and 75 miles to get to Lewiston. That afternoon it was 2 and a half hours and 110 miles. There they kept him in PCU over night. We found out he also had three broken ribs and a separated shoulder. The bleeding stopped and they released him Friday afternoon. He has to go back for another CAT scan next week to just check on everything. We are all very surprise how well he is doing right now. He is up and not in a whole lot of pain. He has even been in helping out at the store some. The hardest part has been getting him to take it easy. So now you know why I have disappeared for a few days and am going to be pretty busy for awhile picking up slack at the store.

No comments: