Saturday, July 17, 2010

Photography Tip - Watch what you cut off! (North Idaho Photography)

Last week was super busy for me with Dylan's swimming lessons, my sister and her friend staying the night and my anniversary. This next week will no be much better as we will be heading to the coast for my sister's wedding. So I have a combined photography tip for the two weeks. Last week I talked about zooming in. This week I want you to watch what is getting cut off in the frame when zooming in. The rule of thumb is that it is not pleasing to the eye cutting people off at the joint. Also watch for the middle of the hand or feet. When cropping around the head make sure that it looks intentional really crop in, don't just clip it.


In this image above the hand is cut off and the side of the foot is just clipped. A quick crop will give us the more pleasing image below.



In the image above again his hand is cut off and the top of his head is just clipped. A crop gives us this image below instead.


No comments: