Friday, October 16, 2009

One Step Closer.

This last week I did something that I have been meaning to do for quite a while. I cleaned out our upstairs living area that we have been using as storage. I moved everything into the empty spare bedroom. The area I cleaned out is a big essentially living room for the upstairs. My office is off of this area. It is big, has hardwood floor, two big windows and a sliding glass door that lets in lots of natural light. I have been wanting to make this area into a studio for a while now. Now that I have it cleared out I am one step closer to making that happen. I am now looking at backdrops for this area. I already have a few props.

I haven't always wanted a studio, but since going to school and taking lighting classes I have been thinking about it more. I ending up liking those classes a lot more than I thought. I was actually not really looking forward to them, lights to me were pretty intimidating. We had a great instructor in Allison Leach though and she helped change my mind about all that. She was very funny and made lighting a whole lot simpler. I learned a lot from her and enjoyed the class immensely. At the end when we had to show our favorite images taken during the class. She told me I had a knack for working with and photographing people. Which was news to me because I had went to school wanting to primarily be a nature and outdoor photographer.

So now I am working towards getting my own studio set up. Having someone who photographs celebrities and shoots for People magazine tell you you have a knack for something can be a real motivator. Not that I still don't love outdoor and natural light photography, but now I will be able to work inside during the very long winter months here. When it is just too cold and snowing way too much to even think about going outside. Next step after the backdrops is lights. Still trying to decide which direction I want to go there, one step at a time though.

No comments: